Tuesday, March 20, 2012

you are my light.

this afternoon while i was sitting at muggswigz drinking coffee and reading for my class, a young man started up a conversation with me. he was a fascinating, enterprising guy who told me all about his 4 rap albums that he had produced, the several books of poetry that he had published and his plans for the future books that he plans to publish. we had a great conversation, truly. and then he asked me whether i write or not.  told him that i did, but that i was not entirely confident in my ability to do so. when i told him this, he explained that he likes teaching people to write, and that he would like to try an exercise with me. so we wrote together. we wrote alternating lines of a poem, 8 lines each. and it had to be the first thing that came to mind. it was honestly very fun, which i was not expecting. and then he told me that he would like to publish it in his next book, which would feature a lot of collaborations like this, between himself and many other people. so...as soon as i email him with the poem, he will include it in this book, and i will be a published writer.... :)
so, here's our collaboration (it's not great, but it's something and it was fun)

You Are My Light
Today is the loveliest of lovely days
I'm so thankful that I see blessings my way
Thankful that the day is fast approaching
So much to do, so much to look forward to
So much, so, so much to do...but this is almost over
The day flew by like the breeze in the sky
And that bright day is so close I can taste it
Smell it, feel it, can you believe the beauty of nature
The flower in my hair smelled so alive
My eyes are radiant, my vision is clear as I focus into the light
The light of everything that we have ever been, ever will be and always are
The light that inspires me to keep moving on
The seal-like laughter echoing in my memory
In this life, there are many things that I hold dear to my heart
You are my favorite...the sweetest thing I have ever known and ever missed this much
So to love you in my life is the best thing that ever happened to me and I love you very much

No comments:

Post a Comment